Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fortified milk

Truman looked awesome today! He is so cute I can hardly stand it!! A research nurse came and talked to me the other day about Truman qualifing to be a part of a study about adding a fortifier to breast milk to help premies grow... They give all the premies a powder form of the fortifer already that adds extra calories and antioxidents to their breast milk which helps them to grow and gain the weight they need, with the research participants some are being given a new liquid form of the same fortifier... with the study also comes a few scans to measure Trumans bone density and his level of antioxidents, a couple extra labs that could be done with his regularly schedualed labs, and being measured on a lengeth board. Logan and I wanting to be able to help future premies and seeing that there were no real risks or side effects to Trumans participation in the study agreed to him being a part. Truman was drawn to recieve the powder form of the fortifier which they started adding to his breast milk yesterday and his first scans were done today (they do the scans every 4 weeks). If I didn't make it cllear why they gie the fortifier earlier it's because while breast milk is the best thing for babies it still isn't enough for premature babies did any of you know that because I sure didn't.
Truman also is up to 19MLs of milk every 3 hrs because he is such a good little eater, it's still from a feeding tube for a few more weeks and then we can try nursing and bottles (when he is about 32-33 weeks gestationally) but he tolerates a digests his food really well! I have to say he gets his eating from the Farnsworths hooray for loving to eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment